The last time I was part of an audience which burst into spontaneous applause
was a few weeks ago when I screened Tammy and the Bachelor at my public
library. After the 30 or so moviegoers (librarygoers?) quieted down, I asked,
"So you didn't think that was just a bit ridiculous?" They all shouted in
unison, "No! We loved it!"

And our audience laughed out loud and applauded when we showed Modern Times at
Dubuque's Grand Opera House a few years ago. Even with a large audience in a
historic theater, the context of the anticipation of hearing Chaplin speak for
the first time was missing, so I'm guessing people didn't notice the brilliance
of the Little Tramp singing in gibberish as they might have in the late 1930s.

But daughter Rebecca, six at the time, couldn't stop laughing. I don't know if
she'll remember that moment, but I always will.
Mike

Michael May
Adult Services Librarian
Carnegie-Stout Public Library