This is an excellent discussion. Thank you all. Now I have a brief question
and a comment.

I am an independent filmmaker who also instructs other independents in DIY
distribution, and have done well selling DVDs on my own--Worldcat lists the
ownership of one of my films at over 250. Now that many institutions are
interested in streaming, however, I am trying to discern the most efficient
and productive way to make content available. It seems to me the question
that lies beneath all of this is how the institution satisfies the
individual professor's need for a particular title. Streaming services can
offer catalogues, but as one commenter has mentioned, schools don't have
the money to buy more than one or two catalogues. On the other end of the
spectrum, from the filmmaker's point-of-view, a catalogue will rarely
spotlight individual films for any length of time; thus, for the rare sale,
the profit they take is often unreasonable. Of course independent
filmmakers could send out endless eblasts advertising their individual
Vimeo streams, but would they even be seen, let alone remembered, by the
right people, and how many eblasts do librarians want in their inboxes?

It seems to me what is desperately needed is a centralized, on-line
database, that would index all titles out there, by subject matter,
academic area, type, length, reviews, year of production, etc. Over time
and as it developed, it could also encompass films in other languages and
regardless of age. Hyperlinks would then lead to dvd purchase and/or
streaming sites--either via distributors or individual filmmakers. This is
just an idea and perhaps one that will never come to pass, but I have
thought about it for a long time. The core of the idea is to serve the
professor's need to find a specific title, while liberating institutions
from the straight-jacket of the individual catalogue. Needless to say, it
would also be an incredible boon to independent filmmakers.

Any chance something like this could ever happen?

Judith Dancoff
NewFilmMarketing.com
Breakthrough Strategies of Academic DIY
Los Angeles, CA 90065