Hi Toby,

 > That would explain why the vector mysteriously disappears. Notably, when
> I put the print commands in my C++ code, I put them *after* the solver
> call (probably a mistake to put them there, in hindsight, but
> nonetheless it seems to have been useful!).
>
> Why does *_base need a copy constructor anyway? Why not force copies to
> be made using derived types? It seems strange to have copies of _base
> instances lying around without the higher-level objects to which they
> normally refer.

That's not entirely clear to me either. If I can just disable it without
too many troubles, I'll just do so.

> And this explains why the direct solvers work: they have different
> prototypes. Instead of VectorType, you have a return type of
> vector<NumericT>, which of course skips this bug. Since it's weird to
> have a solver returning a vector_base object in any case, why not just
> return vector<T> for the iterative solvers, too?

The iterative solvers are generic, i.e. we cannot nail them down to
vector_base<>. For some users it is really handy to plug in their
favorite library types directly.

> In fact, the different styles of prototype were a bit awkward for me:
> g++ was getting confused, forcing me to split the code into three files
> (direct_solvers.cpp, iterative_solvers.cpp and solve_op_func.hpp, where
> solve_op_func.hpp contained the call that g++ previously thought
> "ambiguous"). It turns out that if you include both direct_solve.hpp and
> gmres.hpp into your program, g++ 4.8 can't disambiguate the call based
> on the tag class, as you'd expect.

Oh, good to know, issue created:
https://github.com/viennacl/viennacl-dev/issues/61

>> Hmm, seems like this requires some temporary to fix things up. Could you
>> please create a temporary object rhs_copy of type viennacl_vector<> and
>> pass that to the iterative solvers? For example, replace
>>
>>    result = viennacl::solve(A, b, cg_tag());
>>
>> by
>>    viennacl::vector<T> b_copy(b);
>>    result = viennacl::solve(A, b_copy, cg_tag());
>>
>> The additional temporary object won't matter for overall performance.
>
> I'll do that. And I'll create the copy in only those cases where the
> object isn't exactly of vector<T> type (for instance, where we have a
> proxy instead). I expect those cases to be fairly rare in real usage, of
> course.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Karli