On the frontpage of Corbetta's book from 1639 there are two guitars
depicted. The one at the right is clearly a guitar with the strings fixed at
the end of the corpus. The strings go over the bridge. Maybe strings of
wire.
Mimmo Peruffo pointed out an inventory of the deceased luthier Lorenzo
Filzer from Rome, from 1657, that mentiones 'dodici chitarre con corde de
Cetra'.
The trouble with these things is that instruments can be changed quite
easily in this respect. The examples by Sellas from Nurnberg and Oxford are
now set up with wire strings. They differ from other instruments with folds
and shortened necks.
The chord charts for battente guitars (5 course...) could be in every
alfabeto book from the 17th c. (like in Corbetta's, from 1639).

Lex