Hi Lex,

Yes, I know that illustration from the Corbetta 1639 and always wondered
what sort of guitar that could be. Well, there are lute family instruments
in Praetorius's Sintagma Musicum II 1618 -19 with strings fixed at the
bottom edge too, plus his mentioning of metal strings on the 'violin' or
something ...

Many original early-mid 17th century guitars seem to have been converted to
what is usually called 'battente guitar', with introduction of canted tops
and shortened original necks. However, a number of 17th century guitars that
I came across with and which still retained their original flat soundboards,
were provided with five pins at the bottom edge - for seemingly no other
reason as to make them appear, at least externally, as 'functioning'
5-course guitars. I suspect this was mainly done at the request of
instrument dealers simply to make them look more appealing to potential
customers (perhaps not earlier than in the 19th - early 20th centuries). I
haven't yet inspected closely the Oxford guitar that you mention but I
suspect that this may well be exactly this very case. What is in your belief
so different in it as compared to other surviving 17th century vaulted-back
guitars?

By the way, the chord chart that I mentioned about was definitely on
six-line stave, not like those found in 5-course guitar books.

Could those 'dodici chitarre con corde de Cetra' be simply citterns?

Alexander