Stuart,

I didn't interpret Rob's term "fun" as meaning  joke.

I did like your term "humour", though. But in the sense of mood.

He does seem to be strumming the foundation chords and letting loose a delicate filagree of notes before starting the metrical strumming and written part. Sort of an attached prelude.

I enjoyed (and applaud) Ferries' creativity. I thought the performance created an interesting form, bookending (if you will) the written middle with his improvised runs and strumming. (I don't know if it is an existing piece, but it does look as if he is reading a score).

I would also put this in the direction some of the creative work of Lislevand. It used the performers creativity and technical skills and even the modern tapping technique to bring more interest to a simple original. Making interesting music (or making the music interesting) seems to me to be the job of a performer.

A simple, straight approach is also possible. But, of course, those written variations are already making the original ground "fancier".

This also brings to mind a story my friend Ed Martin told of hearing a suite of Weiss performed by Hopkinson Smith. Ed (with a strong knowledge of the baroque lute repertoire) didn't recognize the prelude and asked Hoppy where it came from. He replied with a smile "the Basel manuscript".

-- R