Ah! It's good to learn about a person of our stripe enjoying the four-course
guitar!

Regarding your questions, some commentaries you might want to look at are:

* Jocelyn Carrie Nelson, "Adrian Le Roy's _Premiere livre de tabulature de
guiterre_ (1551): Transcription and analysis of the ornamented pavanes,
galliards, and branles," D.M.A. monograph, University of Colorado, 2002.

* Michael Fink," The 'Lost' Guitar Pieces of Adrian Le Roy," _Lute Society
of America Quarterly_, XLIII/3 (Sep 2008): 42-43.

* The additional "plus diminuee" pieces discussed in the latter are
published in _Pierre Phalese, Selectissima Elegantissimaque Guiterna Carmina
1570_, Introduction by Michael Fink. Lubeck: Tree Edition, (c)2007.

IMHO, Renaissance dances in printed or ms. collections are somewhat bifocal.
They may or may not be intended for the dance. The distinctive rhythms and
periodicity of a dance may be present, but those features may be merely
structural, and the piece may have been written mainly for listening and
playing enjoyment.

Thus tempos in Le Roy's "plus diminuee" versions could probably be modified
from the unadorned versions with good effect. (BTW, Le Roy seems to be the
only composer to write plain & fancy versions of the same piece for the
guitar -- and for the lute.)

At this point, I yield to Jocelyn with her extensive experience in this
repertoire and deep knowledge of the Renaissance guitar. You may wish to
write to her.

Best wishes,

Michael Fink

mich...@lgv-pub.com