Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 9:56 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: four-course guitar music 'plus diminuees'

Regarding your questions, some commentaries you might want to look at are:

* Jocelyn Carrie Nelson, "Adrian Le Roy's _Premiere livre de tabulature de
guiterre_ (1551): Transcription and analysis of the ornamented pavanes,
galliards, and branles," D.M.A. monograph, University of Colorado, 2002.

* Michael Fink," The 'Lost' Guitar Pieces of Adrian Le Roy," _Lute Society
of America Quarterly_, XLIII/3 (Sep 2008): 42-43.

* The additional "plus diminuee" pieces discussed in the latter are
published in _Pierre Phalese, Selectissima Elegantissimaque Guiterna Carmina
1570_, Introduction by Michael Fink. Lubeck: Tree Edition, (c)2007.

Many thanks for these references.
IMHO, Renaissance dances in printed or ms. collections are somewhat bifocal. They may or may not be intended for the dance. The distinctive rhythms and
periodicity of a dance may be present, but those features may be merely
structural, and the piece may have been written mainly for listening and
playing enjoyment.

Thus tempos in Le Roy's "plus diminuee" versions could probably be modified
from the unadorned versions with good effect.
I'm always intrigued by a puzzle and either players then (and this repertoire is usually said to be aimed at amateurs) were capable of playing at staggering speeds - or, as I think you are suggesting - they played these pieces more slowly. But I think there are problems with both.

I'm just an amateur player but playing first the plain version of a little dance at something like a dance-like tempo - then keeping that tempo and trying to play the fancy version at the same tempo is quite beyond possibility for me. But if loads of people are playing these pieces (the 'plus diminuees' versions ) I'd love to hear them.and be rightly chastened. Even playing flat out, playing far faster than I can clearly articulate, doesn't get me close to the speed I'd need to be if I'm playing in the dance-like tempo of the plain version. At these sort of speeds the music is miles beyond any amateur plucked music I've ever encountered.

But playing them more slowly seems implausible too. They fancy versions are only fancy in having these very fast (rather formulaic) runs - they aren't wholly re-cast as arty things and there are bars and bars without fast divisions which would just sound rather silly at a slower speed.

Stuart

(BTW, Le Roy seems to be the
only composer to write plain & fancy versions of the same piece for the
guitar -- and for the lute.)

At this point, I yield to Jocelyn with her extensive experience in this
repertoire and deep knowledge of the Renaissance guitar. You may wish to
write to her.

Best wishes,

Michael Fink

mich...@lgv-pub.com