     From: Stuart Walsh <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] four-course guitar music 'plus diminuees'
     To: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Tuesday, 24 March, 2009, 10:53 PM

   I've got a four-course guitar for a short while. I used to try and play
   this four-course (mid 16th century) repertoire, years ago, on a
   baritone uke and a home-made concoction - without much success or
   pleasure. Anyway this current instrument is a good one...but I must
   admit I can't make it sound very well at all.
   But I'm interested to know what  people think about the speeds of the
   'plus diminuee'  pieces, the versions of pieces with divisions. Leroy's
   Third Book has many little dances with second versions of the pieces
   with divisions. Perhaps it's important that the 'plus diminuees'
   versions are free-standing. Pieces with ornamented repeats might have
   been expected. But no, there is a straightforward, 'simple' version and
   then the 'plus diminuees' version.
   Some commentators (like Harvey Turnbull) have been quite dismissive of
   all of this 'amateur' music - which, I suppose, it must have been. But
   looking at the 'plus diminuees' pieces again, and trying to play them I
   wonder whoever could possibly have played them. As an example, the
   straightforward version of Almande tournee (Allemande Loreyne) f.16
   feels like a two to a bar tune with running eighth notes. It's a lively
   little dance. But, at that speed for the straightforward version, the
   'plus diminuees' version is ridiculously, absurdly - freakishly -
   fast. But if the 'plus diminuess' version is slowed down to a human
   level, the dance is now unbearably, turgidly slow.
   Th Spanish guitar books don't have an equivalent of these 'plus
   diminuees' pieces. The Spanish guitar pieces can be challenging and
   difficult - but not beyond practice and hard work.  I don't think the
   Gorlier books have anything like the 'plus diminuees' pieces either.
   Paul Odette (fastest on earth?) has recorded some of this stuff and it
   sounds a bit weird...why turn a dance tune into a sort of machine gun
   burst? (And almost all of the divisions are within the first five frets
   of a four-course instrument: all squashed into to a tiny space).
   So I wonder what these  'plus diminuees' pieces are all about. Is
   anyone happily playing them?
   Stuart