   From: [1]Martyn Hodgson

   To: [2]Stuart Walsh

   Cc: [3]Monica Hall ; [4]Vihuelalist

   Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 1:40 PM

   Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Guitarre theorbee or rather Chittarra
   atiorbata

   Stuart,

   Regarding wether the CA basses were doubled at the octave, the 1651
   illustration of Granata's CA shows pegs for 5 double courses on the
   fingerboard and 8 single (relatively short as compared with a theorbo)
   basses. In short, the instrument was strung like a theorbo and
   contemporary archlute with single basses. As you'll know from earlier
   in this thread, there is at least as strong a case for the basses to be
   at the upper octave and in this case no octave doubling would be
   present anyway.

   Martyn