Roman Turovsky wrote:
There is just one further aspect which I haven't explored. Two books, one by Abatessa and one by Michaeli include instructions for tuning the 5-course guitar to the "arpetta". It is not clear what this is except that it apparently has 8 strings. Abatessa seems to imply that it is another instrument - a small harp perhaps, but Micheli's instructions seem to imply that it is some sort of attachment to the guitar. James Tyler mentions this on p.59 of his book and says there is a drawing of such an instrument in an 18th century Portuguese manuscript where it is referred to as a "tyorba christalina". Apparently there is such an instrument in the Victoria and Albert Museum.

I don't recall having seen it.   Has anyone else?

Monica

I've been in the V&A a couple of times fairly recently and I didn't notice such a thing. Maybe someone has the V&A catalogue and can check that for instruments not on display. Could - tuning the 5-course guitar to the "arpetta" - just mean tuning a guitar with the help of an "arpetta" (whatever that was).

Stuart

Unless this means http://www.torban.org/images/vallejo2.jpg
RT

This image reminded me of something in Baines' "Musical Instruments". There _is_ an instrument in the V&A (according to Baines) that has the attachment that is shown in Roman's jpg. Perhaps it is the same instrument. But it is much, much later... 1789-92, Rafael Vellejo (V&A; 389-1871): six double courses and a board attached with 20 pegs with 10 double courses of metal strings.

Stuart