The Moulinie (1629) I mentioned earlier is well before Martin (1663)
   which I think you say in your Bartolotti paper is the first French
   guitar book in tablature.

   --- On Wed, 17/3/10, Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:

     From: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Subject: Re: Guitar strumming indications up to 1620s
     To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Wednesday, 17 March, 2010, 20:50

   Well - it's a bit late at night and I have been away all day helping to
   look after my sister who is very ill so I am not my brightest and
   best..  My plan was to do Corbetta's Italian prefaces and then go back
   to the beginning to try to trace how French tab developed before
   Corbetta and La guitarre royale..

   These are a few random thoughts which may not be to the point.

   I have only got a few French sources dating from before Francois Martin
   lined up at present.  There doesn't seem to be a great deal but there
   may be things I am not aware of.

   Apart from anything else I think the French - and everybody including
   the English - didn't need printed books specifically designed for them
   at first because they would have been able to obtain Italian
   publications easily. Mersenne had copies of Millioni and Colonna.
   Music publishing is and was an international undertaking.  I think the
   reason why they don't use alfabeto has as much to do with what the
   printers were able and willing to do as anything else.

   In manuscript sources - at lest in the Gallot ms.  alfabeto is combined
   with French tab.  And there are manuscript fragments with Italian
   stroke marks.

   I did actually ask Gerard Rebours whether there are sources which put
   the note values on the stave earlier than Martin and he couldn't think
   of any.   It is actually Carbonchi who first put the stroke marks on
   the stave.

   But why did the French invent French tablature in the first place - an
   interesting question?   It has always seemed less logical than Italian
   to me.

   That will have to do for tonight  but it is an interesting subject and
   perhaps some of the others will have some thoughts.

   Cheers

   Monica