Many thanks for this Monica: I don't think it's 'going round in
   circles'; it's more to do with prescision and ensuring accuracy and
   clarity of views

   Few comments on yr last:

   - In the guitar intabulations I'd query Le Cocq's interpretation of the
   *  as having the same function as the 'slash' since the guitar
   tablature also uses the slash sign (as well as the previously mentioned
   beaming sign).

   - I think placing all reliance on Le Cocq's views in the earlier Lute
   article, which I thought at the time was an important contribution,  is
   rather begging the question since as you have also said Moulinie
   himself does not explain the interpretation of his signs. The
   suggestion that the * might be a thumb stroke comes from notation in,
   naturally, later French tablatures which have a special sign for the
   thumb stroke.

   - Where do I query what you said in the Bartolotti paper 'about
   Francois Martin's book  being the first in French tablature in which
   the note values are placed on the stave with the tails down or up to
   indicate the direction of the strummed strokes.' ?   What in fact I did
   query was that you said in the Barolotti paper that the Martin (1663)
   was the first French guitar book (in 17thC)  to use tablature and then
   I mentioned the Moulinie (1629).

   As already mentioned, your latest generally excellent paper on alfabeto
   accompaniments is most welcome but as I've already said   ' I had in
   mind the thought that a contemporary (pre-Corbetta) French source (such
   as the Moulinie) might be able to provide some evidence of
   performance  practice which the contemporary Italian sources
   (documented in your excellent paper) were less than clear about. In
   this case the precise courses incorporated into a downwards
   strum/stroke and an upwards one.  I still don't think it should be
   discarded as having no relevance whatsoever to the question of Italian
   practice - especially when the guitar songs (with one exception) are
   all to Italian or Spanish texts!
   In this context, also see my postscript which points out that the
   exceptional French guitar set text is actually a 'foreign'
   (specifically Spanish) influenced work and thus not such an exception
   at all......

   In short, what I suggest is that Moulinie may in fact have some
   relevance to performance practice of the day not only in pre-Corbetta
   France but also the practice in Italy (and Spain) imported into
   France -  whereas I believe you think it has none.

   regards

   Martyn