Many thanks for this Monica.

   Sorry to be pedantic but what you're now saying I wrote is
   largely contrary to what I actually did write!  Clarfication:

   1. As I already said, the marketing possibilities would have largely
   dictated the use of the more common French  tablature (as you now say).
   I wrote  'Presumably these relatively new symbols were little known in
   France at the time so that full intabulation was an obvious method to
   use for marketing the publication'.

   2. I was very careful NOT to say ('assume' as you put it) 'that in 1629
   that alfabeto notation  or the strummed style were unknown in
   France' as you paraphrase what I wrote. In fact I said  'Presumably
   these relatively new symbols were little known in France at  the time'
   and also said that  'surely an indication that the foreign (strummed)
   style was not unknown in France (even if the special guitar symbols
   were largely so). '
   '
   3. As I pointed out, the dot indicates an upwards strum/rake.
   Conversely the absence of a particular sign to indicate a downwards
   strum does not mean a strum wasn't used (equally it doesn't prove the
   converse). Are you suggesting that these guitar pieces did not employ a
   downward strum? I thought you agreed with me that this was the most
   likely explantion for the full five  repeated chords.

   4. I suggested that the beam/tie could be a (crude) way of attempting
   to indicate strumming in the absence of any other signs being widely
   available and recognised in France at the time.  It could be that it
   might also serve the usage you suggest (The tie under the chords
   indicates that they are played against a single sustained note/syllable
   in the voice part not the chords are strummed as I understand it.),
   However this is not consistently supported by examples such as on the
   fu- of 'fuga' in Non speri pieta where, if I understand aright, your
   suggestion would require a beam which is not, in fact, present in the
   part (and other examples such as on lieto in the next piece, etc). As
   with all these, more work required......

   5 When I suggested that 'I  think it prudent not to impose our own
   retrospective judgements on such evidence.' , I had in mind the
   thought that a contemporary (pre-Corbetta) French source (such as the
   Moulinie) might be able to provide some evidence of performance
   practice which the contemporary Italian sources (documented in your
   excellent paper) were less than clear about. In this case the precise
   courses incorporated into a downwards strum/stroke and an upwards one.
   I still don't think it should be discarded as having no relevance
   whatsoever to the question of Italian practice - especially when the
   guitar songs (with one exception) are all to Italian or Spanish texts!

   I'm still puzzled by 'What you see isn't what you are supposed to do!'
   which might suggest retrospective judgement....................

   Again,many thanks for the recent paper.

   Martyn