Maybe I am being stupid here but you say that the common guitar has its 3rd course tuned to the 6th course of the lute i.e. G. So how can it be tuned in D rather than E? And when you say 6th course do you mean the highest or lowest course?

Monica

P.S. My guitar is based on an instrument by Tessler and has a string length of 61.5.

----- Original Message ----- From: "jean-michel Catherinot" <jeanmichel.catheri...@yahoo.com> To: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>; "Chris Despopoulos" <despopoulos_chr...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 2:04 PM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Any b-guitar repertoire in all re-entrant accepted by all?

  1/ Is 69 cm an usual diapason for early  (around 1650) guitar: Koch is
  61 cm or so, first generation of Voboam rather 65, Tessler is short
  too. Longer diapason is more common on later guitars or guitar `a la
  capucine, with a deeper body (lower tuning?)
  2/ the Carbonchi Ms H72 in Perugia clearly says that the common guitar
  has his 3rd string tuned on the 6th course of the lute (g?) and the 5th
  key of the harpsichord (from C eg G). His guitar is tuned in D instead
  of E, almost surely at a=415 hz, pitch then in use in these regions.
  Plus the 4th course octave (F) on the lutes is more or less the same
  problem (what would you say about Frei and Maler instruments, with
  around 65cm diapason or more, at Venice pitch ?)
  So...
  But I agree there is no convincing evidence in the texts in favour of
  an octave on the G. It just sounds very well on my instrument, all in
  gut (Koch copy), with complete reetrant tuning. And surely it doesn't
  work for de Visee, nor the guitar! But even Corbetta before the guitare
  royale and Bartolotti sounds quite well like that, with convincing
  campanellas and not much gaps as 7th or 9th (specially with the g
  octave, but it's not my main reason to like this tuning).
  I only would like to have 3 guitars , with their own stringing, to play
  more music!