   From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
   To: Vihuelalist <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Tue, February 8, 2011 4:09:08 AM
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: The stringing of the baroque guitar - again
   Stuart Walsh wrote:
   > what do you mean by "elaborate treble dominated style"? Is it this: a
   predominantly melodic line interspersed with occasional chords? Which
   composers are you thinking of?

   > The small amount of fancier music for the English guitar/guittar in
   the 18th century  actually, literally looks like this - melodic lines -
   single melodic lines and then occasional chords. But five-course guitar
   music doesn't look like this at all. It looks like there's some kind of
   bass and treble - it looks like, at least, two part music.
   And, what's more, it sounds like it. This applies as much for Corbetta
   in 1643 and Bartolotti in c1655 as for Visee and Granata in the 1680s.
   This elaborate treble dominated style concept is a someting like modern
   myth. As is the idea that players would have sacrificed their bourdons
   for only a fistful of campanela's. Which, at the same time can be
   performed by making a double use of the lower courses of a bourdon
   tuning. Campanelas (the real ones) appear for the first time in print
   in Bartolotti's 1640 book. Bartolotti, as a theorbist, was probably
   familiar with Kapsberger's cross-string fingerings. In that sphere
   changing the stringing of the 4th and 5th courses of the guitar would
   only have been a small step. Considering the polyphonic nature of
   Bartolotti's music this is more likely than that he dropped his two
   bourdons.
   What bothers me is that we seem to be obliged to have an opinion on a
   very complexe issue, about a large and varied repertoire with many
   works that not many have ever played (or studied!) themselves. It is a
   situation which easily leads to over-simplified answers.
   Lex