     From: Lex Eisenhardt <eisenha...@planet.nl>
     Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: The stringing of the baroque guitar - again
     To: "Stuart Walsh" <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>, "Martyn Hodgson"
     <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
     Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>, "Monica Hall"
     <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
     Date: Tuesday, 8 February, 2011, 10:25

   >   I don't know what others are thinking of, but I mentioned that the
   >   similarity between much (especially Italian) guitar writing and
   that
   >   for unaccompanied violin by such as Schmelzer, Biber, Matteis had
   >   struck me some years ago. Almost all guitar composer exhibit this
   in
   >   pieces from time to time but some particular ones which I recall
   being
   >   examplars of the fashion were: Pellegrini(1650), Carbonchi(1640),
   >   Pesori(1648), Coriandoli(1670), Valdambrini (1646/7), Bottazzari
   >   (1663), Granata (various).......
   As I remarked earlier, it is probably a matter of different
   genres/compositional strategies. Foscarini's Gagliarda la Passionata
   could serve as an example of a
   predominantly melodic line interspersed with occasional chords. Still
   the bass line is implied and sometimes played. Several dances from
   Corbetta's 1639 book are written like that. And in some of the works of
   the composers you have listed there is a similar tendency. But as a
   description of the repertoire of the second half of the seventeenth
   century it definitely falls short.
   Lex