From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf
Of Monica Hall
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 9:56 AM
To: Martyn Hodgson
Cc: Vihuelalist
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Granata

Dear Martin

Unfortunately I am not familiar with any of these sources!

As a general observation however, I think that all these sources suggest
that  a
variety of different accompaniments and arrangements could be used.   You
can't lay down hard and fast rules because in the 17th century they didn't
have any. Interestingly Piccinini apparently
suggests that some of his pieces could be played on the lute and organ with
basso continuo or chitarrone and organ although no parts for these
instruments are included in the printed book. [I have a recording of some of
the pieces played in this way].

As far as unambiguous (17th c) references
to the guitar playing basso continuo together with other bass instruments is

concerned - is there any unamibiguous evidence that it didn't. Why should

it not do so?   We don't really have any evidence one way or the other.
There seem to me to be completely unrealistic expectations as to what any of

the sources ought to tell us.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>