To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 6:09 PM
Subject: Re: [VIHUELA] Re: Granata

As far as unambiguous (17th c) references
to the guitar playing basso continuo together with other bass instruments
is concerned  - is there any unamibiguous evidence that it didn't.   Why
should it not do so?   We don't really have any evidence one way or the
other. There seem to me to be completely unrealistic expectations as to
what any of the sources ought to tell us.

There are countless references to theorboes, organs, harpsichords, wind
and bowed strings with regard to basso continuo. But where do we find
descriptions, pictures, references in scores to the guitar in the sonata
or canzona repertoire?

Lex