As far as unambiguous (17th c) references
to the guitar playing basso continuo together with other bass instruments is concerned - is there any unamibiguous evidence that it didn't. Why should it not do so? We don't really have any evidence one way or the other. There seem to me to be completely unrealistic expectations as to what any of the sources ought to tell us.

There are countless references to theorboes, organs, harpsichords, wind and
bowed strings with regard to basso continuo. But where do we find
descriptions, pictures, references in scores to the guitar in the sonata or
canzona repertoire?

Lex