   From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   To: Monica Hall <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>; Stuart Walsh
   <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   Cc: Vihuelalist <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Mon, April 18, 2011 3:57:29 AM
   Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Strumming techniques - was With/Without Bordones
     Dear Stuart,
     Thanks for this. I do hope you won't really give up!  Like you I'm
     sometimes reluctant to be quite so strict about what strum I employ
   but
     I think, also like you, I'm aware of the historical instructions.
     I do think these strums were part of general play as, indeed,
   required
     by Corbetta (as well as de Visee et al - note his careful use of
   strum
     requiring a thumb and strum without - how often is this adhered to?).
     And I've given an example of the double upstroke to numerous
   Allemandes
     which I suggest are better played this way (ie double upstroke
   executed
     by the middle and first finger being well seperated and strumming
     upwards).
     I think the Roncalli 'strum' is a red herring!: in fact for this
   chord
     Roncalli employs the well recognised guitar sign also used in
     contemporary tiorba tablatures for an extended arpeggio.  But Chris's
     use of a flamenco strum certainly gave rise to this interesting
     exchange.....
     regards
     Martyn