>     You should play 4 down/up/down/up strokes on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd
      courses and 2 - down/up on the 4th/5th.

  Thanks for semi-clearing this up. Well, at least the down/up part makes
  sense and that was the way I was doing it. It is often confusing in
  these old sources as to what is top and high and up and down, for
  example "up the neck...". Going from top (in pitch) down might take
  some getting used to, for me, as I've been playing it the other way.

Sorry - I think you may  have misunderstood what I am trying to say.

First you play the top three strings - down/up/down/up

then you play the bottom two srings down/up/down/up

not in the reverse order.

You do this for the 2 bars where there are six quavers in a bar and the harmony remains the same throughout each bar. When you get to the place where the harmony changes every 4 quavers you just strum up and down all 5 courses.

If you look at the example on p.177 of James Tyler's book - the first two bars are incorrect because he misunderstood the Italian. It's the top courses first then the bottom ones. The next long bar is correct.

Hope that helps.

Monica

  Ed Durbrow
  Saitama, Japan