----- Original Message ----- From: "Martyn Hodgson" <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: "Monica Hall" <mjlh...@tiscali.co.uk>
Cc: "Vihuelalist" <vihuela@cs.dartmouth.edu>; "Lex Eisenhardt" <eisenha...@planet.nl>
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 9:13 AM
Subject: [VIHUELA] Re: Strumming as basso continuo {was: Return to earlier question: {was: Agazzari guitar [was Re: Capona?]}

  The Corradi 1616 collection contains pieces for one, two and for three
  voices along with  an intabulated part for 'chitarrone', the guitar
  alfabeto and a staff notated bass line ('da sonare nel Clavicembalo, et
  altri Stromenti simili'). So it's not just solo songs accompanied by a
  solo guitar and does reflect similiar instrumental options found for
  just  basso continuo parts in similar collections - in short, I do
  think it accurate to call the guitar alfabeto a realised basso continuo
  part in this case.

Well - obviously I haven't seen it but it sounds a bit like the Kapsberger villanelle. However I don't think that it is correct to call the guitar alfabeto a realized basso continuo part because it is clearly not a realization of the bass part. Even if the alfabeto actually matches the bass part, the guitar does not reproduce the bass part or the harmony in the correct inversions. It won't usually even reflect obvious harmonic progessions such as a 4-3 suspension. And as far as the various instruments mentioned are concerned I think these are alternatives rather than intended all to play together.

  Of course, like you, I doubt whether the Pope would have expected a
  strummed guitar in Palestrina's Messa Papae Marcelli. Indeed, is there
  even any evidence for the excessive strumming in some modern
  fashionable performances of  South American sacred settings?

Probably not as much as players today like to think - but Eloy perhaps could tell us more about that if he is not too busy.

  We also agree on the excessive strumming ('thrashing about') often
  found in some modern performances of solo songs.

Yes indeed!

Monica