R3>. Not a red herring at all. You no doubt noted that I discussed
  distribution of notes in the 20033/20003 chords generally. But then
  went on to  point out, that if the French/Corbetta tuning is
  employed the distribution of thirds and fifths in the 20033
  configuration is much more equal than with 20003.

It is a red herring - because by the time Corbetta published even his first book the configuration of alfabeto chords was firmly established. There is no reason why he should have preferred one version of chord A rather than another on the basis of the method of stringing he preferred.

  Do you really think that the different voicings of the chord sounds
  appreciably different.

  R4> Yes I do - I'm surprised you don't.

Well - it is simply a matter of playing the chord and listening to it. And yes the 3rd sounds slightly more prominent if it is doubled but I don't think that any reasonable person would find that unacceptable in a 5-part chord.

To reduce to absurdity: if we
  eliminate, say, all thirds from a chord will we/you not hear a
  difference if a thirs is now included to replace a fifth?

But of course we will - but that is quite different from doubling the 3rd. You are leaving out a defining constituent of the chord. The chord will sound equally absurd if you leave out the 5th or even the root. All three notes must be present in the chord but which ones are doubled is a matter of convenience. As I said - once you get to writing in 5 parts or more you will sometimes have to double the 3rd.

  (indeed today I'm v much enjoying playing the under-performed second
  part of what was Prague II Ms Kk77 - do you know it?

No - unfortunately I haven't got a copy of that one.

Here the real
  technical issue is playing part strums to miss out specific courses).

Is it? Is it more difficult than playing all 5? It's the same argument which applies to l-hand fingering. some things are more dfficult than others.

As ever

Monica

  [12][25][29]http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/~wbc/lute-admin/index.html

  [34][38]http://us.mc817.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=vihuela@cs.dartmou