While you're bringing up Sanz, I think there's another point to
   consider.  We shouldn't forget that his book is titled an "instruction
   on the guitar".  In fact, it's laid out very much that way, beginning
   with some explanations and theory, then laying out the "abecedario"
   (what I earlier and confusingly called the alfabeto), a listing of
   other forms for major and minor chords, and then presenting music in a
   fairly graded way...  Initial alfabeto passages for the rudimentary
   versions of common song and dance forms, a few simple punteado pieces,
   and then other pieces increasing in their musical and technical level.
   So what's my point?  If you were a meticulous instructor of the guitar,
   and were about to lay out a fundamental chord chart, what would you
   do?  You would use the forms and fingerings that have been recognized
   as standard, and that facilitate learning to play.  If, for some
   reason, you disagreed with the standard fingering, you would probably
   give your fingering, and call attention to the fact that you have
   diverged from common practice (as Sanz does when talking about
   stringing the guitar, for example).  I'm not aware of any controversy
   over the fingering of the basic chords...  Probably less time was spent
   on the issue in the day than we have spent on this thread.  (Attempt at
   humor)   But I expect that the abecedario in Sanz's book would reflect
   a practice that he sees as leading most directly to mastery of the
   instrument, and as avoiding as much as possible the development of bad
   habits...  As any music instructor would aim to do.  Even if the
   advantage of a certain fingering isn't immediately apparent to the
   novice, it's up to the master to see the long view, and to insist on
   the proper form.  20003 might seem immediately easier, but 20033 will
   prove to be the superior fingering in the long run.
   That said, I also think the above-novice player has every right to
   finger an A as 20003 whenever he likes.  (So long as it isn't a crutch
   for avoiding a fingering that he finds difficult. Such a crutch would
   defeat the purpose of avoiding bad habits.)  His audience will be the
   judge as to whether it's better, worse, or makes no noticeable
   difference.  And his teacher (if he has one) will probably have
   something to say as well.
   cud