Linda W wrote:
Am running under cygwin, where they've updated to vim7.

One of the first problems I'm noticing is that when I edit a file,
then exit, then re-edit, I'm no longer placed back at the location
I was at when I had previously exited.

Is this a bug, or did some value not get properly updated when
we were upgraded to vim7 from  vim6?  I.e. do I need to change
some setting?

Thanks,
linda

As has been repeatedly said this past week, this requires a viminfo setting and an autocommand.

The autocommand is defined near line 70 of $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim so if you source the latter, you should have it.

The cursor position must also be remembered in the viminfo file; for this, you need an apostrophe with a non-zero number as one of the parts of the 'viminfo' option. The 'nocompatible' default includes '20

For this to work, you need the required features compiled-in: has("viminfo") and has("autocmd") must both be nonzero.