A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
when I edit a file, then exit, then re-edit, I'm no longer placed
 back at the same location

Is this a bug, or did some value not get properly updated when
we were upgraded to vim7 from  vim6?  I.e. do I need to change
some setting?
As has been repeatedly said this past week, this requires a viminfo setting and an autocommand.
---
        Sorry, Tony, I looked through the headers for the last week and
didn't see any that appeared to deal with this issue.  ... <looking harder>
Ah, I didn't go back far enough, I found one dated June 7th, 10 days ago
(metric week? :-)).
        Thanks for you patience...

linda