A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
As has been repeatedly said this past week, this requires a viminfo setting and an autocommand.
----
        Has it been said that it didn't require these in the past?  I.e. --
has this requirement changed since 64?

The autocommand is defined near line 70 of $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim so if you source the latter, you should have it.
---
        Was it in a different file before?

The cursor position must also be remembered in the viminfo file; for this, you need an apostrophe with a non-zero number as one of the parts of the 'viminfo' option. The 'nocompatible' default includes '20
---
        The reason I'm asking more questions is my viminfo value is:
'20,<50,s10,h

        That appears to be what you are talking about.

For this to work, you need the required features compiled-in: has("viminfo") and has("autocmd") must both be nonzero.
---
        Yup.  got those.

        Maybe some set of common "aufiles" was being sourced and
now isn't being sourced?  Still looking to find why it broke...

thanks,
linda