Linda W wrote:
A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
As has been repeatedly said this past week, this requires a viminfo setting and an autocommand.
----
    Has it been said that it didn't require these in the past?  I.e. --
has this requirement changed since 64?

No.

The autocommand is defined near line 70 of $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example.vim so if you source the latter, you should have it.
---
    Was it in a different file before?

No.

The cursor position must also be remembered in the viminfo file; for this, you need an apostrophe with a non-zero number as one of the parts of the 'viminfo' option. The 'nocompatible' default includes '20
---
    The reason I'm asking more questions is my viminfo value is:
'20,<50,s10,h

    That appears to be what you are talking about.

It is.

For this to work, you need the required features compiled-in: has("viminfo") and has("autocmd") must both be nonzero.
---
    Yup.  got those.

    Maybe some set of common "aufiles" was being sourced and
now isn't being sourced?  Still looking to find why it broke...

thanks,
linda

What may have been changed is your vimrc. If you previously had a _vimrc including a line

        source $VIMRUNTIME/vimrc_example_vim
or
        runtime vimrc_example.vim

and now your Cygwin .vimrc hasn't got it, that's the culprit.

Note: Cygwin is regarded as a "Unix" environment. Vim compiled for Cygwin (requiring Unix-like paths and the cygwin1.dll) looks first for ~/.vimrc and falls back on ~/_vimrc if it doesn't find it. Vim for "native" Windows (which may have been compiled under Cygwin but doesn't need cygwin to run and uses Windows-like paths) does the opposite. So if you have only one of .vimrc and _vimrc they will both use it; if you have both, "Vim for cygwin" uses the one and "Vim for Windows" the other.