I recently started work at a company where the predominant text editor happens to be emacs. I've been using vim for a while now, though only recently started getting into the more advanced functionality beyond simple editing (highlighting, folding, tags etc...). Watching one of my co-workers with emacs is pretty fun, as he does things fairly quickly - I asked him what his most common emacs actions were, to see how I could do them in vim:

* autocomplete - say that I've declared a constant variable in Perl named MY_CONSTANT, later, to have the editor fill it in, I type in MY_, and some other key-stroke, and "CONSTANT" gets typed in for you

* goto when compiling - when compiling with make for example, and there is a problem in the code identified by a line, can vim somehow know to go to that line? this would be especially useful with 'make'

* rectangular cut/pastes - if I have a column (multi-row) of text that I'd like to paste on several lines, can I do this without a regex?

* ctags variable name references - assuming I'm using ctags, how can I replace the name of a variable throughout my code base?

* regional undo - can I select a region, and perform an undo for all of the changes only in that region?

* cvs/diff mode - what support does vim offer for these two apps, internal to the editor.

I'll be glad to RTFM for all of these things, however I don't know where to look them up - any pointers would be appreciated!

thanks,
-lev