cga2000 wrote:
On Thu, Aug 24, 2006 at 10:40:40PM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
cga2000 wrote:
On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 01:32:33AM EDT, A.J.Mechelynck wrote:
[...]
If you're using Latin1 or UTF-8, you may try:

- Currency sign (decimal 164, ?, ^KCu)
- Middle dot (decimal 183, ยท, ^K.M)

I did both:

:set com+=fb:Cu
:set com+=fb:.M

.. entered via a Ctrl-V Ctrl-K followed by the digraph .. and they do

don't use Ctrl-V before the Ctrl-K. Just Ctrl-K followed by the
digraph.  In each case you should see one character (a hollow bullet
with outgrowing teeth on the four diagonals, or a dot at mid-height)
appear as soon as you type the second character of the digraph. But if
'encoding' is neither Latin1 nor UTF-8 these characters may or may not
exist.

OK. I had tested both data entry syntaxes -- just Ctrl-K or Ctrl-V
followed by Ctrl-K.  I did that with the middle dot and I was getting an
"invalid character" error message ..

But then I was unsure how you were supposed to enter the character and
figured that the problem was that I needed to enter a Ctrl-V before the
Ctrl-K .. when in fact what probably happened was that I was doing
something wrong .. inverting the digraph's two characters, maybe .. who
knows.

With your explanations above, I gave it another shot and this time
everything works as advertised.
My only problem now is that both looks very nice indeed and I'm not sure
which one I am going to use.

Which one you use will of course be your own choice; but if you are undecided, I recommend the currency sign, which is more visible in all fonts (including any fonts you may use in the future): in the Courier font I'm using in this mail client, the middle-dot is a single pixel, not very easy to notice. Or you may want to use a different style of bullets for nested lists (bulleted lists within bulleted lists).

Also, first thing I did was a
:set encoding=latin1
[...]

If you had something else before (such as cp1252 or cp850), it may have helped.