Bill McCarthy recently wrote to vim-dev and others:

  > Runtime files are kept fairly well updated at the Vim FTP
  > site.  You can update those files from there.  Scripts have
  > been provided for 'nix and Windows to update local files.

  Only script I found on www.vim.org to help with updating runtime
  files involves use of AAP.  If there are other scripts, please
  provide an exact link to them.

  > For Windows, using 4nt, this one-liner will do the update:
  >
  >   copy /[!*~]/u/s ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/runtime/dos vrt:
  >
  > where vrt: is a directory alias for my $VIMRUNTIME.

  I am surprised that NT supports /[!*~] as an option to a command!

  Anyone know of a version of this command for XP?

  I can use perl's lwp-rget to down-load the runtime files to a
  separate directory.  I can then over-write the entire $VIMRUNTIME
  with the downloaded stuff, but do not know how to merely update
  $VIMRUNTIME.

  --Suresh