Thanks for the clarification Brett.  At least if you have external commands you
use regularly though, you could wrap them in a vim function, thereby making
them effectively internal, making g< useful.

Just an update - I promised I'd investigate extending my "patch" to help those
people who complained about losing their commands if they pressed one too many
keys.
I tried the most obvious approach, and whilst it sort of worked, there was some
unhandled complexity to do with reverting to "more-prompt" mode which I
couldn't easily work out.
I think it was because vim thought we had alreday exited "more-prompt" mode,
when in fact we shouldn't have (so you couldn't scroll back up when you reached
the end).
Since this g< command works somewhat (or can be made to work by using a wrapper
function for external commands), I think I might give up on this and just be
satisfied with the simpler "q exits the Press Enter prompt" change.

Cheers,
John