On Thu, March 29, 2007 7:01 am, Jagpreet wrote:
> Hi There, I use putty to connect to remote server with telnet.  Not
> using the graphics version because of high speed with consol version.
>
> In the recent time I have started working some other remote server and
> I copied all my vim data(.vimrc, .vim) to this server as well.
>
> When I use vim command to open a file it is extremely slow in opening
> the files.  Sometimes the time to open the file is almost 90 seconds.
>
> Please suggest where the problem can be.

I've had this issue before when I couldn't connect to the x server.  I
know that you're not using Gvim, but I've even had this issue when
trying to use the terminal version.

Here's two things you can try:

1. Export your display variable so that it matches the IP of your
client.  For example, if your client's IP is 1.2.3.4, run the following
command on the server:

    export DISPLAY=1.2.3.4:0.0

Also, you may need to have some sort of xserver running on your client,
like exceed.

2. Pass some switch to vim that forces it to ignore any display
settings.  I don't know if this setting exists.

In the end, I'm think you're having display issues.  Are there any
xserver experts out there who could give Jagpreet a less half-baked
solution?

HTH!

Tom Purl