Tom Purl wrote:
On Thu, March 29, 2007 7:01 am, Jagpreet wrote:
Hi There, I use putty to connect to remote server with telnet.  Not
using the graphics version because of high speed with consol version.

In the recent time I have started working some other remote server and
I copied all my vim data(.vimrc, .vim) to this server as well.

When I use vim command to open a file it is extremely slow in opening
the files.  Sometimes the time to open the file is almost 90 seconds.

Please suggest where the problem can be.

I've had this issue before when I couldn't connect to the x server.  I
know that you're not using Gvim, but I've even had this issue when
trying to use the terminal version.

Here's two things you can try:

1. Export your display variable so that it matches the IP of your
client.  For example, if your client's IP is 1.2.3.4, run the following
command on the server:

    export DISPLAY=1.2.3.4:0.0

Also, you may need to have some sort of xserver running on your client,
like exceed.

2. Pass some switch to vim that forces it to ignore any display
settings.  I don't know if this setting exists.

In the end, I'm think you're having display issues.  Are there any
xserver experts out there who could give Jagpreet a less half-baked
solution?

HTH!

Tom Purl

To avoid trying to connect with an X server in an X-enabled console Vim (which could be a console version with clipboard support, or a GUI version being run in console mode), use -X on the shell command line for Vim, thus:

        vim -X foobar.txt

(1) Everything depends.
(2) Nothing is always.
(3) Everything is sometimes.