Sorry, I don't use gui while in linux.  The ugly fonts in x windows
are killing my eyes.  Yes it includes the dejavu mono.  Ironically, I
do find lots of linux users are using the fonts from the dark side.
As for the compiler, I don't have to repeat lots of studies from
different papers that show the  vc is at least 10% faster than gcc.
And I do know that most of the gurus in the c++ community are working
for microsoft.

I am not against the open source.  If so, I won't use vim.  In fact,
vim is much better than every commercial editors I have used.  But
that does not mean every open source project is of good quality.

On 4/21/07, A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dimitar wrote:
> * A.J.Mechelynck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [070421 10:20]:
[...]
>> Cases in point:
>> - Microsoft Windows XP Professional (I haven't tested Vista, but from
what I hear it could also serve here) vs.
>> openSUSE Linux.
> Sorry for the off topic.
>
> I have nothing against Linux at all.(I'm using it as my standard
> operating system).
> But I must admit that Windows and MacOS are far ahead from Linux in
> the graphics area. The X server is somehow not worthy to compare with
> the graphic environments of the other two.

I've used Windows, and I've used X, and when some graphical program gets
hung,
it's quite easy to log into non-X and kill the culprit, than to get a
Windows
machine going again without a reboot (which, of course, kills everything and
loses all unsaved data everywhere). As for Blue Screens of Death... I know
"kernel panic" is a known Linux concept, but I haven't yet experienced one.
rest my case.

> OpenOffice is usable and has a lot of futures but it just looks bad.
> Free Software is in the most cases not as good as proprietary,
> especially when the X server is involved.
>
> Exceptions:
>> - Internet Explorer vs. Firefox.
>> - Notepad vs. gvim.
>   - Visual Studio vs. Eclipse
>> - Etc...
>
> So stay realistic, you are not aware of if and how much Mingw is
> better then Microsoft's compiler.

Qua quality/price ratio, I would bet my shirt on it. Also my house if I
owned
one. But I said earlier that a high price and a box with "Professional"
written on it do not *necessarily* mean high quality.

> Best Regards,
> Dimtar

"Wouldn't the sentence 'I want to put a hyphen between the words Fish
and And and And and Chips in my Fish-And-Chips sign' have been clearer
if quotation marks had been placed before Fish, and between Fish and
and, and and and And, and And and and, and and and And, and And and
and, and and and Chips, as well as after Chips?"

--
Zhichao Hong, CSDP
[EMAIL PROTECTED]