On Thu, May 10, 2007 3:40 am, John Beckett wrote:
> Tom Purl wrote:
>> Here's what I propose we do:
>> 1. Finalize a tip formatting standard.
>> 2. Use the best available script that supports this standard.
>> 3. Update the best available script if necessary.
>> 4. Revise the standard if necessary.
>> 5. Convert a tips sample.
>> 6. Review the sample and revise the script if necessary.
>
> Good. But to keep our discussion focussed, please do what you
> did last time: Put a sample tip on a wiki page so we can agree
> on its features.

We already have a tip on the page that people have been working on.  You
can see the link to it on the following page:

* http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learning_the_vi_editor/Vim/TipsSandbox

> Please take Gene's advice and manually edit the page to how you think
> it should look. Once the format is agreed, we can ask for a script.
>
> I recommend:
> - Propose a format for the URL of each tip, as well as
>   the format of the page.
>
> - Omit the info box with author, date, tip rating, Vim version.
>   It's too hard to maintain, and too intrusive.
>
> - Keep the comments on the tip page, with a very simple
>   comment heading in front of each, something like:
>   -----By UserName on March 8, 2001 14:51-----
>
> To make it easy to edit the page, the comment heading should be
> a single line in the wiki source.

I agree that we should keep things as simple as possible, at least for
the initial conversion.  After that, when all updates are manual, we can
be more fancy :)

This not only saves time, but I just don't think that it is possible to
create a conversion script that can convert plain text that doesn't use
a single markup style to a consistent format.

> -Or- Put all the comments on the talk page, with the format as
> above. However, that seems unnecessarily tricky to do in
> practice (it doubles the number of pages we have to work with).
>
> I favour putting the comments in the main page to make it easier
> to clean up the tip. When we see a tip with old-style comments,
> we would know that it needed an overhaul.

So do I.

>> 1. Let's use this mailing list to coordinate the project.
>> All comments regarding wiki page format, however, should be
>> written to the "talk" section of the affected wiki page.
>
> Please be more explicit. Will we use the vim or the vim-dev
> list?

I was referring to the user mailing list.

> How can we comment on the wiki page format on the "talk" section?

Each page has a "talk" tab, and you can use it to comment on a wiki
page.

> I think we should use the vim mailing list for all discussions until a
> decision (your decision!) is made to finalise the wiki site, format,
> and script.

Ok, what does everyone else think?  I'm open to this, especially since
it's easier to keep up with the mailing list than it is to keep up with
a Wikibooks watchlist page.

> Final suggestion: Please start a new thread (new subject) which
> we will follow until everything is finalised, rather than
> replying to this.

I agree.  I'm a big fan of proper mailing list thread etiquette, even
though I completely ignored it for this discussion :)

I plan on starting a new thread for each deadline, and I think we should
be fairly granular when it comes to thread creation.  It makes things
easier to follow.  If in doubt, create a new thread!

> It would be great if you would consider what I and others have
> written, then make a proposal with what you think.

Thanks for the feedback!  My "proposal" is basically what I said
yesterday - that we follow some sort of schedule and make some
decisions.  I like your suggestions.  What does everyone else think?

Tom Purl