Matthew Winn wrote:
On Sat, 19 May 2007 19:43:46 +0200, "A.J.Mechelynck"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It seems that the 'isfname' option doesn't include a space by default. But is that right? On both Windows and Unix, a filename may include spaces (though special steps must be taken to include such names in a command-line).

Having a space in isfname by default would cause problems when trying
to use gf. Vim would try to treat both the intended filename and all
the surrounding spaces and words as part of the name.

On Unix a filename may contain any character apart from slash or null,
but the potential for problems is avoided by an informal policy of
never creating names containing characters that are regularly used as
delimiters. I can't begin to imagine why Microsoft thought it would be
a good idea to put spaces in the names of system directories, but I
guess the environment was probably something like the final panel of
<http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0130.html>.

Or else, the decision was made by some suit with the same mentality as "a flight admiral who never flew anything other than a desk".

The years of peak mental activity are undoubtedly between the ages of
four and eighteen.  At four we know all the questions, at eighteen all
the answers.