Hi,

Bram Moolenaar wrote:

> Antony Scriven wrote:
>
>> On 08/04/2008, Bram Moolenaar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>  > I have been preparing a talk for the upcoming FISL
>>  > conference in Brazil:
>>  > http://fisl.softwarelivre.org/9.0/www/
>>  >
>>  > One of the items I planned to discuss is why Vim has no
>>  > floating point support.  Well, this turned into actually
>>  > implementing it.
>>  >
>>  > The main problem with floating point is that the usual
>>  > notation already has a meaning:
>>  >
>>  >        echo 123.456
>>  >           123456
>>  >
>>  > [...]
>>
>> How many people actually do that? Should they be doing that?
>> IMHO I'd force people to use whitespace for concatenation in
>> this case (i.e.  123 . 456) and have 123.456 be a floating
>> point number. That's how Perl works, for example. --Antony
>
> Search in existing scripts and you will find examples of doing string
> concatenation like this.  I don't want to break existing scripts in some
> obscure way.

what about a command similar to scriptencoding which would enable
support for floating point numbers in this particular script? Or just
allows to write them without the need to use a "marker"? "Marked"
floating point numbers would then always be allowed.

IMHO, scripts that use a dot to concatenate literal numbers deserve to
be broken. The only reason I could think of is to (ab-)use Vim's
conversion from octal to decimal as in

  :echo 123.0456

which results in

  123302

-- a rather obscure way to generate this output.

I strongly think Vim should use the same format for literal floating
point numbers that most other languages use.

Regards,
Jürgen

in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.     (Calvin)