Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Now the patch is attached, hopefully that works better.

The file diff.dat that you just attached, and your earlier inline mail are
the same. In both cases, there is a problem: the last 12 lines should be
omitted (you can see they are a slightly broken duplicate of the
just-preceding lines).

---start omit (last 12 lines)---
+** ../vim-7.1.291/src/version.c        Tue Apr  1 20:58:23 2008
--- src/version.c       Sun Apr  6 15:25:42 2008
 **************
        "-find_in_path",
  #endif
+ #ifdef FEAT_FLOAT
+       "+float",
+ #else
+       "-float",
+ #endif
  #ifdef FEAT_FOLDING
        "+folding",
---end omit---

For the record, Tony's attached patch correctly omitted the above 12 lines,
but Tony's patch has a problem in the middle:

---instead of---
+           f + #ifndef HAVE_STDARG_H
---should be---
+ #ifndef HAVE_STDARG_H
---end---

I have built and run Vim with the patch (as corrected above). It patched and
built with no problems. A very quick test correctly executed the following
(showing result 12.990000):

:echo &1.23 + &11.76

It will be a while before I can think of anything to do with floating point
in an editor, but no doubt someone will explain it to me.

John