On 21/08/08 06:55, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Tony Mechelynck wrote:
[...]
>> But, is UTF-8 with BOM different from UTF-8 without BOM? And how does
>> ":helptags" detect the encoding used by a file?
>
> Right, that should work.  But ASCII is not utf-8, and I think (without
> looking at the code) that ASCII files default to latin1 encoding.

US-ASCII is the common 7-bit subset of both UTF-8 and Latin1; my
'fileencodings' detects it as UTF-8 (because Latin1 comes last, of
course). That's part of why I was surprised when, after a helpfile in
UTF-8 with BOM, it triggered an error.

Best regards,
Tony.
--
"Life may have no meaning -- or even worse, it may have a meaning of
which I disapprove."