E670: Mix of help file encodings within a language:
/usr/local/share/vim/vimfiles/doc/hicolors.txt

The error is given by the :helptags command.

After investigation, it appears that all the *.txt files in
$VIM/vimfiles/doc are in UTF-8 (or can be read as UTF-8), which is my
current 'encoding'; the file which sorts before the one in the message,
however, is the only one with a BOM (the file has just been created by
UseVimball). (The files in that directory are Rndm.txt, hicolors.txt,
hicolorshelp.txt, a softlink to matchit.txt, and a tags file.) It also
appears that the error has truncated the tags file to zero-length.

I removed the BOM, and then ":helptags $VIM/vimfiles/doc" generated a
tags file with no error.

Bug or feature?
1. Why should it be an error to have various help files from different
sources in $VIM/vimfiles/doc, some in UTF-8 with BOM, and others in
US-ASCII with of course no BOM but otherwise readable as UTF-8?
2. Shouldn't the E670 message mention which (incompatible) encodings it
found? At least the first two?
3. Rather than give an E670 error, couldn't the :helptags command
generate a tags file in UTF-8 when 'encoding' is set to UTF-8, which
ought to be able to represent anything, even if I happened to have
helpfiles in mixed encodings -- let's say something as innocuous as
US-ASCII, Latin1 with accents, and UTF-8 with BOM? (Note that in the
above case, this would have given the correct tags file in US-ASCII.)
4. If the :helptags command ends in an error, shouldn't it preserve any
preexisting tags file (let's say by some procedure analogous to what
'writebackup' does)?

Best regards,
Tony.
--
The chicken that clucks the loudest is the one most likely to show up
at the steam fitters' picnic.