On Tue 26-Aug-08 6:26pm -0600, Tony Mechelynck wrote:

> On 27/08/08 01:07, Bill McCarthy wrote:
>> Hello Vim Developers,
>>
>> I've noticed that some mappings are built into Gvim and Vim.
>> Here are the ones built into Gvim (from the output of:
>> :map|map!) - if it matters, I'm running under Windows XP:
>>
>>      v<C-X>          "*d
>>      v<C-Del>        "*d
>>      v<S-Del>        "*d
>>      v<C-Insert>     "*y
>>      v<S-Insert>     "-d"*P
>>      n<S-Insert>     "*P
>>      !<S-Insert>     <C-R><C-O>*
>>
>> The following are the built-in maps for Vim:
>>
>>      v<C-X>          "-d
>>      nv<C-End>        <C-End>
>>      nv<C-Home>       <C-Home>
>>      v  ÎØ            "*d
>>      v  Î×            "*d
>>      v  ÎÕ            "*y
>>      v  ÎÔ            "-d"*P
>>      n  ÎÔ            "*P
>>      !<C-End>        <C-End>
>>      !<C-Home>       <C-Home>
>>      i  ÎÔ<C-R><C-O>*
>>
>> The Gvim maps remind of some Windows shortcuts that have
>> apparently been borrowed by Bram.  Those 5 vmaps are quite
>> odd.  They should work fine as xmaps but we'll not behave as
>> intended as smaps.  To fix this problem, I've added to my
>> _vimrc:
>>
>>      sunmap<C-X>
>>      if has("gui")
>>        sunmap<C-Del>
>>        sunmap<S-Del>
>>        sunmap<C-Insert>
>>        sunmap<S-Insert>
>>      endif
>>
>> The maps in the has("gui") can't be unmapped that way in
>> Vim.  Also, what is being accomplished by mapping<C-End>
>> and<C-Home>  to themselves?
>>

> I suspect they are set by some script; maybe mswin.vim or maybe some
> "system vimrc":
>
> 1. Try starting Vim by typing
>
>         vim -N -u NONE
> or
>         gvim -N -u NONE

That's how I started to capture only the maps I show above
(and yes I used redir with "verb map" and "verb map!"  to do
it).  There are no script files involved.

> This will tell you where all these mappings came from. The strange
> two-character {lhs}es might represent Alt-key chords.

Yes they are.  I can see them with:

    vmap <M-N>

which is a bit strange for <C-Del>, <S-Del>, <C-Insert> and
<S-Insert>.

    sunmap <M-N>

gives:  E31: No such mapping

Bill