James Vega wrote:
> Vim creates swapfiles expressly to ease the process of
> recovering from problems.  Whether they be the power going
> out while they were editing, or their system crashing
> (BSOD?), or even forgetting to close their Vim session and
> needing to do more work from a remote connection.
>
> Adding the ability to easily diff the recovered buffer
> against the on-disk file (the action recommended to the user)
> is a valid request.
> I've attempted to do so with vimscript, but so far haven't
> had much luck.  Providing this option natively would make a
> lot of people's lives easier when they do have to deal with
> recovering from whatever adverse scenario caused the swap
> file to be left behind.

Yes, I agree your suggestion would be good. Giving a more
thoughtful answer than my previous effort, I would say that the
issue from a developer's point of view might be that it would be
quite hard to safely provide options that allow the user to
proceed in all the conditions that could have caused the swap
file to be left on disk (without sometimes luring the user into
making a mistake that loses data).

I haven't faced the issue much, so on reconsideration, I should
have kept quiet. I can see that it would be frustrating if you
experienced network problems that often broke a remote session
(sometimes it's not easy to edit local copies of files).

I'm not proposing the following as a solution, but I will
mention that there is a related tip:
http://vim.wikia.com/wiki/Swap_file_%22...%22already_exists!_-_so_diff_it

John