On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Tony Mechelynck <
antoine.mechely...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 24/05/10 22:30, Jordan Lewis wrote:
> [...]
>
>  I am a bit concerned with your decision to write undo files to the
>> current directory by default, though. I think that it is "impolite" to
>> users to have Vim store its state (especially at the
>> 1-statefile-per-file rate that undo persistence uses) directly in the
>> user's working directory. It makes more sense to me to use an undo
>> directory within ~/.vim by default. If that fails, then the right thing
>> to do would be to go ahead and write in the file's directory since, as
>> you mentioned, it is likely to succeed.
>>
>> I suppose the argument could be made that the user who has added undo
>> persistence to her vimrc would have read enough of the documentation to
>> know that she must also set undodir if she doesn't want a polluted
>> current working directory. I don't think that this argument is strong
>> enough to warrant using the new default behavior, though, since a less
>> clued-in user might not understand why his working directory is suddenly
>> full of dot files.
>>

>> - Jordan Lewis
>>

> The default Bram chose is not the "current" directory (as of :cd or :lcd)
> but the directory of the file. The advantage of this choice is that you
> could quite possibly have files of the same name (e.g. Makefile) in
> different directories, and with a common 'undodir', undofiles for all those
> identically-named files would overwrite each other. Placing undofiles in the
> directory of the file makes sure that the undofiles for vim73/Makefile,
> vim73/src/Makefile, vim73/src/po/Makefile and vim73/src/testdir/Makefile
> won't destroy each other.
>

> Best regards,
> Tony.

I should have worded my post better - I did mean the directory of the file
as you indicate. And the patch doesn't blindly name all undo files the same
if they have the same filename - with a common undo directory, the files
will be named path_to_vim73_Makefile.un~, path_to_vim73_src_Makefile.un~,
etc.

- Jordan