On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 12:48, Christian Brabandt <cbli...@256bit.org> wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 10:06 pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>> I also changed it to put the undofile with the edited file.  That should
>> work, as writing a file usually means the undofile can be written there
>> as well.  It's possible to change this with the 'undodir' option.

> Is this a good idea? Generally I wouldn't mind if I am the only one who
> edits certain files. But what about project directories, that are
> accessed by several people? .<names>.un~ files would accumulate (and
> since I usually have to work on Windows, they will even be visible for
> everybody). This might be a problem for production servers, on which
> only certain files are allowed to be. Well, I guess I have to set
> 'undodir'. (Will it be possible to set 'undodir' only for certain files
> via e.g. autocommands?)

If there’s one thing I’ve learned it’s that you should never work on
production servers or network file-systems.  All modifications should
be done to local copies (under version control) that are then
installed with make/install or similar solutions.  This way of working
avoids all sorts of problems, like messed up permission and ownership,
stale auxiliary files (such as the undo files), and overwritten
changes (when someone else edits the same file as you at the same
time).

That said, I think persistent undo is more or less useless and, well,
just a big pile of potential problems.  Persistent undo is in the
version control system, not in the editor.