On Mon, May 24, 2010 10:06 pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> I also changed it to put the undofile with the edited file.  That should
> work, as writing a file usually means the undofile can be written there
> as well.  It's possible to change this with the 'undodir' option.

Is this a good idea? Generally I wouldn't mind if I am the only one who
edits certain files. But what about project directories, that are
accessed by several people? .<names>.un~ files would accumulate (and
since I usually have to work on Windows, they will even be visible for
everybody). This might be a problem for production servers, on which
only certain files are allowed to be. Well, I guess I have to set
'undodir'. (Will it be possible to set 'undodir' only for certain files
via e.g. autocommands?)

> Note that despite the checks it might still be possible that the undo
> information is corruped and changes your text in unexpected ways.  Be
> careful.

Yes I have noted that.

BTW: If the undolevels setting is negative, you won't need to write a
undo-file, right? And secondly using the provided binary, I could not
successfully read in an undo file. I always get this error message:
"File contents changed, cannot use undo info"

Oh and for some reason, my vim was killed several times, when I tried
the vim73 beta. Unfortunately, I am on Windows and did not get any error
message so I don't know how to debug this. The first time I noticed, was
when I tried to write a large Textfile. Don't know, if this was related
to the undo-file settings, which was turned on.

> You can try the self-installing executable:
>   ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/gvim73a.exe

This should be:
ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/pc/gvim73a.exe

regards,
Christian