ZyX wrote:
I see that all g:vimsyn_embed flags say things like “embed … **(but only if vim
supports it)**”. This is ridiculous:
Ah, I disagree -- not ridiculous at all. What's ridiculous is to assume that one will be writing code for an interpreter embedded in vimscript without being able to test it. Thus, one needs to have the interpreter supported for it to make sense. The syntax/vim.vim script is quite long already; making all interpreters' embedded highlighting work all the time means everyone would have to put up with additional delays -- and frankly, I don't think that most folks use all the interpreters. That's not a problem for those with fast machines; not all have fast machines.
ou don’t have to have vim lua support to code in lua and have syntax highlighting; you
specifically don’t have to have vim lua support to write or watch lua<<EOF sections;
and it is completely possible for oneself to want to review {interp}<<EOF sections in
foreign plugins before deciding whether he needs to obtain Vim with {interp} support or (my
case) to watch correct highlighting of his own vimrc on machine without specific
interpreter support.

You can look at the embedded code already -- it just won't have the embedded interpreter's highlighting if your vim won't support it. Sort of a visual flag that it won't work with your vim.