Ken Takata wrote:

> Great work!
> But unfortunately some features are disabled:
> * DirectWrite
> * OLE
> * Lua
> * Perl
> * Ruby
> * Tcl
> * Build *.mo files
> * vim.exe

[...]

> > I think, the Vim release from vim.org did bundle a diff.exe, but I don't
> > know how this was build, so this is not included.
>
> nsis/README.txt says that it can be found at:
>   http://www.mossbayeng.com/~ron/vim/diffutils.tar.gz
> But the link is 404.

It's included in the distribution files.  I can add it to the git files,
if needed.  Likewise for other binaries that are not so easy to obtain.
e.g. gvimext64.dll.

[...]

> I have also enabled the following features:
> * DirectWrite
> * Lua  (LuaBinaries 5.3.2)
> * Perl (ActivePerl 5.22)
> * Ruby (RubyInstaller 2.2.3)
> * Tcl  (ActiveTcl 8.6.4)
> * Build *.mo files
> * vim.exe
>
> I haven't enabled the OLE feature, because when I enabled it, the built binary
> didn't work on AppVeyor.
>
> You can see the patches at here:
> https://github.com/vim/vim/compare/master...k-takata:appveyor-release
>
> The patches also include the following patches:
> * https://github.com/vim/vim/issues/328#issuecomment-166502534
> * https://groups.google.com/d/topic/vim_dev/vk-5rhFe_xw/discussion
>
> You can see the result at here:
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/k-takata/vim/build/33
> And you can see the binaries at here:
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/k-takata/vim/build/33/job/y6y8rr56ufnv834y/artifacts
> https://ci.appveyor.com/project/k-takata/vim/build/33/job/xob8gv86jpkheqyl/artifacts
>

> One more problem, gettext is not included. The official installer (gvim74.exe)
> includes very old version of Taro Muraoka's Win32 porting from here:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/gettext/files/gettext-win32/0.10.35/
> It doesn't have 64-bit version.
>
> I'm considering to use Taro's latest MSVC porting:
> https://github.com/koron/gettext
> https://github.com/koron/libiconv

Assuming we manage to produce a gvim.exe and/or vim.exe that is equivalent
to what's distributed, the ":Update" command could replace it.  A
complication is that MS-Windows doesn't allow for running executables to
be replaced, like we can on Unix.  Maybe there is a trick, such as
running a small program that starts Vim and exits.  We also need to
handle those "features" that warn you from executing something that was
downloaded.

This should be simpler than downloading the installer and re-installing
everything.  Unfortunately NSIS doesn't support updating.

--
'I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it."
                -- Mae West