Christian Brabandt wrote:

> On So, 27 Dez 2015, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
>
> > It's included in the distribution files.  I can add it to the git files,
> > if needed.  Likewise for other binaries that are not so easy to obtain.
>
> Can't you include and distribute the source?

Perhaps.  I haven't built it myself, you would have to track down the
source and build script.

> > e.g. gvimext64.dll.
>
> What is that used for? Is that for version 6.4?

This is for the "Edit with Vim" menu.  It must match the OS version,
"64" is 64 bits.  Building it may require a specific compiler version.

> > Assuming we manage to produce a gvim.exe and/or vim.exe that is equivalent
> > to what's distributed, the ":Update" command could replace it.  A
> > complication is that MS-Windows doesn't allow for running executables to
> > be replaced, like we can on Unix.  Maybe there is a trick, such as
> > running a small program that starts Vim and exits.  We also need to
> > handle those "features" that warn you from executing something that was
> > downloaded.
> >
> > This should be simpler than downloading the installer and re-installing
> > everything.  Unfortunately NSIS doesn't support updating.
>
> From my experience, Windows users expect to close the application before
> reinstalling it, so I would not try to be too clever here.

Except that we use Vim to run the update script, thus it's running while
updating.

> Providing updated binaries should help most users and I don't think we
> need a to provide a build with all features enabled. The most important
> part is to include updated runtime files and binaries. One problem on my
> Windows 10 system however is, that my system blocks the execution of
> those provided binaries, since the distributor could not be verified (or
> a similar error).

But the gvim.exe installed with NSIS works?  If that is true then we
might have to build the executable installer and run that.  The
":Update" command would then only check for a new version and possibly
download and execute it.

> Well, I will try to improve the appveyor build slightly from the
> feedback given here so lets see where this leads to.

The produced gvim.exe and vim.exe should match the ones included with
the self-installing executable.  Otherwise an update results in
different features.

--
ARTHUR:    Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!
GUARD #1:  But then of course African swallows are not migratory.